For Thursday, March 2nd read “The Drama of Miguel Piñero” at the front of Outlaw and read Piñero’s play Short Eyes (pages 193-243).
Questions to think about to guide your reading:
- What characters does he show in the play?
- What language does he use and what effect does that have?
- What audiences do you think Piñero is writing for?
- What’s the setting he chooses and what side of the city does that show?
- What are some of the key themes the play deals with?
- Identify key points of the play where the storyline (plot) turns or changes. Mark significant points where this happens in your book and write them down in your notes. What causes the plot turns and how might actors on stage make them believable?
Also remember that we have unannounced pop quizzes, so keep up with the reading!
Watch the legendary singer Curtis Mayfield sing one of the songs from the film version (he also had a small part in the film and composed/performed the soundtrack).