On Tuesday March 27, we’ll finish watching Spike Lee’s Do The Right Thing and discuss the film and the readings assigned for it. To prepare, read the following:
- Pay particular attention to the excerpt from from Murray Forman’s book The ‘Hood Comes First: Race, Space, and Place in Rap and Hip Hop (Wesleyan University Press, 2002) on reading urban space, which is a PDF on the Readings page.
- Then read this article from New York magazine (“The Tipping of Jefferson Avenue” ) on the intersection of race and Brooklyn gentrification.
- Make a list of themes you see covered in the film
- See my Do the Right Thing lecture notes on the lecture notes page
- Continue preparing for the midterm, rescheduled for 3/29. See the outline in last week’s post
On Thursday, 3/29, we will have the rescheduled Midterm exam. Note that this is the last class before spring break, so do not miss it! Make-ups will not be offered.